Duterte remains at the ICC detention center, awaiting pre-trial; the appeals chamber denied his appeal for an interim release in November 2025Duterte remains at the ICC detention center, awaiting pre-trial; the appeals chamber denied his appeal for an interim release in November 2025

FACT CHECK: No ICC ruling allowing Duterte to return to PH wearing location tracker

2026/02/20 11:00
4 min read

Claim: The International Criminal Court (ICC) has ruled that detained former president Rodrigo Duterte will be allowed to return to the Philippines on the condition that he wears a location tracker.

Rating: FALSE

Why we fact-checked this: Several posts bearing the false claim have been circulating on Facebook, with the most popular one garnering 8,800 reactions, 1,200 comments, and 423 shares. The page spreading the claim, “SNN,” presents itself as a news site and has 162,000 followers.

The false posts use the same graphic, which shows Duterte with long, graying hair in front of a court. 

Rodrigo Duterte, pinayagan na ng ICC makabalik sa Pilipinas at lalagyan ito ng tracker kung saan man sya pupunta,” text on the graphic says.  

(The ICC has allowed Rodrigo Duterte to return to the Philippines while equipped with a tracker wherever he goes.)

The caption used is also the same across the posts, which claims that the update was issued by the ICC. One of the posts includes a link that purportedly contains more details about the supposed decision.

Comments on these posts show that users believed the claim to be true, with one comment stating, “Totoo? Bahala may tracking importante makauwi.”

(Really? Never mind if there’s a tracker, the important thing is that he is brought home.)

The facts: There is no ICC ruling allowing Duterte to return to the Philippines as long as he wears a location tracker. The court’s official website does not list any such update for Duterte’s case.

The former president has previously made an unsuccessful bid for an interim release. He remains detained at the ICC prison in The Hague, awaiting his confirmation of charges hearing scheduled for February 23 to 27. The false claim began circulating a few weeks before the hearings.

On January 26, the ICC’s Pre-Trial Chamber I found the former president fit to take part in the pre-trial proceedings. Duterte’s legal team had earlier claimed that he was unfit for trial because he is cognitively impaired.

“Having regard to the relevant legal principles, the medical assessment of a panel of three independent medical experts and all of the relevant circumstances of the case, the Chamber was satisfied that Mr Duterte is able effectively to exercise his procedural rights and is therefore fit to take part in the pre-trial proceedings, which are thereby resumed,” the court said in its January 2026 decision.

Health condition: Ahead of the pre-trial proceedings, Duterte requested to waive his right to attend his confirmation of charges hearing, citing his poor health and refusal to recognize the chamber’s jurisdiction.

“I do not wish to attend legal proceedings that I will forget within minutes. I am old, tired, and frail. I wish for this Court to respect my peace inside the cell it has placed me. I have accepted the fact that I could die in prison,” Duterte stated in a letter typed for him and which his lawyer submitted to the ICC. (READ MORE: ‘I am old, tired, and frail’: Duterte asks ICC to skip pre-trial) 

False claims about release, ill health: All kinds of false claims about Duterte have been spreading in the lead-up to Duterte’s confirmation of charges hearing. Most common among these are posts that say Duterte is set to be released or is in poor health. 

Rappler has previously debunked these claims:

  • FACT CHECK: No proof of Duterte in ‘critical’ condition    
  • FACT CHECK: Viral photo of Duterte reunited with daughter Kitty is manipulated
  • FACT CHECK: Duterte’s ICC case not dismissed; claim of insufficient evidence is false
  • FACT CHECK: Duterte did not leave ICC detention for one hour; photo is AI-generated
  • FACT CHECK: Photo of Kitty Duterte ‘in tears’ due to father’s health is altered    

– Shay Du/Rappler.com

Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at factcheck@rappler.com. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time.

Market Opportunity
Checkmate Logo
Checkmate Price(CHECK)
$0.062342
$0.062342$0.062342
-10.43%
USD
Checkmate (CHECK) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

5 Best Cryptos to Buy for 2025: Why LILPEPE Is Investors Top Pick?

5 Best Cryptos to Buy for 2025: Why LILPEPE Is Investors Top Pick?

The market is heating up as the next bull rally approaches, and investors are seeking […]
Share
Coinstats2025/09/18 12:30
China’s mineral moves shake global tech and defense

China’s mineral moves shake global tech and defense

The post China’s mineral moves shake global tech and defense appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. China’s overseas sales of rare-earth products hit a record in August, just days before an expected phone call between Xi Jinping and Donald Trump that could touch on the sensitive materials at the heart of high-tech manufacturing and defense. Shipments of rare-earth products, including high-performance magnets used in consumer electronics and fighter aircraft reached 7,338 tons last month, according to Bloomberg calculations based on government data. It marks the highest monthly level since early 2012 in the available records. The surge follows a steep drop earlier this year after Beijing curbed some rare-earth exports amid a growing trade dispute with the US. A pause in tensions followed. Following talks in Madrid this week, President Trump said he intends to hold a phone call with President Xi on Friday. Beijing’s rare earth rules tightened in April, cutting trade. Cryptopolitan earlier reported when China set export controls in response to higher U.S. tariffs and limits on technology transfer by Western nations. China supplies over 70% of rare earths and handles about 90% of processing. The Ministry of Commerce said the measures protect national security. New licenses slowed approvals, slashing shipments in April and May. The delays disrupted supply chains and forced auto makers outside Beijing to pause output for shortages. In July, the European Parliament urged the EU to bolster key strengths and warned China’s licensing rules seek sensitive data. Germanium demand overwhelms supply chains Pressure is also building in another corner of the strategic metals market. Chinese limits on exports of germanium, a metal vital for military thermal-imaging systems found in fighter jets and other equipment, have created a sharp supply squeeze and driven prices to their highest level in at least 14 years, traders say. Beijing announced in 2023 that it would halt exports of germanium, gallium and antimony after the…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 18:38
USD/INR Surges: Alarming Currency Shift as FII Exodus and Oil Spike Crush Indian Rupee

USD/INR Surges: Alarming Currency Shift as FII Exodus and Oil Spike Crush Indian Rupee

BitcoinWorld USD/INR Surges: Alarming Currency Shift as FII Exodus and Oil Spike Crush Indian Rupee MUMBAI, March 2025 – The USD/INR currency pair has experienced
Share
bitcoinworld2026/02/20 16:55