The Trillion Peso March Movement’s program will be held at the People Power Monument, while Bayan will convene at the EDSA ShrineThe Trillion Peso March Movement’s program will be held at the People Power Monument, while Bayan will convene at the EDSA Shrine

Talks to hold one ‘unified’ EDSA rally break down, protest plans diverge

2026/02/22 18:40
5 min read

MANILA, Philippines – Progressive groups will mark the 40th anniversary of the EDSA People Power Revolution at EDSA on Wednesday, February 25, but not on a shared stage or with a common program, after talks to coordinate actions and messaging broke down.

Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) president Renato Reyes told Rappler on Sunday, February 22, that efforts to coalesce with the Trillion Peso March Movement failed despite at least two meetings earlier this month. 

As a result, different protest actions will proceed separately, even if they end up in the same general area along EDSA.

The Trillion Peso March Movement’s program will be held at the People Power Monument along White Plains Avenue, while Bayan will convene at the EDSA Shrine. 

The groups will have to just continue with their plans kahit na hindi nagkakaisa at the very least you will have a situation where the different protest actions are in a common area which is EDSA,” he told Rappler. “Pero there will be siguro divergence or nuancing when it comes to the messaging, kung hanggang saan dinadala ang kritisismo o batikos doon sa mga personaheng sangkot sa korapsyon,” Reyes added.

(The groups will just have to continue with their plans even if they are not unified, and at the very least you will have a situation where the different protest actions are in a common area, which is EDSA. But there will likely be some divergence or nuance when it comes to the messaging, including how far the criticism or censure goes toward the individuals involved in corruption.)

Talks to share a common stage and program were prompted by criticism over the separate anti-corruption rallies that were held in September last year.

To oust or not to oust?

The lack of unity comes amid disagreements over political demands and protest parameters. 

In a Facebook post on Friday, February 20, Trillion Peso March Movement convenor Francis Dee said their action would focus on calls to jail corrupt officials, pass an anti-dynasty law, and enact anti-corruption measures. Bayan, on the other hand, is calling for the resignation of both President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Vice President Sara Duterte, among other demands.

Dee, grandson of democracy icons Benigno Aquino Jr. and former president Corazon Aquino, also said that prohibited calls include violence, appeals to the armed forces, or demands to install unelected bodies such as a revolutionary government or transition council.

The Trillion Peso March Movement conducted a coordinated walk-through with the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Friday, in preparation for Wednesday’s rally.

During the coordination meeting between MMDA and Trillion Peso March Movement organizers, Elmo San Diego, head of Quezon City’s Department of Public Order and Safety, said that they will not issue permits to those who call for the governments’ downfall. 

Hindi papayag ang QC government na ang direksyon ng rally niyo ay short of saying a seditious stand,” he said. “Definitely hindi bibigyan ng permit iyan kasi ang assessment ng QCPD diyan ay hindi tama at delikado.” (The Quezon City government will not allow your rally to take a direction that comes close to taking a seditious stand. It definitely will not be granted a permit because the QCPD’s assessment is that it is inappropriate and dangerous.)

Reyes said those restrictions did not sit well with Bayan and allied groups.

So I think it’s very problematic pag ganoon ang sinasabi nila na you try to limit the alternatives, ito ang highest form of democracy, direct action of the Filipino people,” he said. (So I think it’s very problematic when they say things like that, when you try to limit the alternatives. This is the highest form of democracy, the direct action of the Filipino people.)

No permit?

Beyond political differences, logistical and permit issues have also complicated coordination. 

Reyes said the Quezon City local government told Bayan it had no jurisdiction over the stretch of EDSA in front of the EDSA Shrine, and advised the group to secure permits from the Mandaluyong local government and the Eastern Police District.

“I don’t know why that’s the outcome because in the past, groups were able to hold protests on that strip in front of EDSA Shrine, so it shouldn’t be a problem,” he said.

The Quezon City local government confirmed this in a statement on Sunday, saying they endorsed Bayan’s request to the appropriate agencies since EDSA is a “major highway with multi-city jurisdiction.” 

The city government, however, approved the application of the Trillion Peso March Movement, whose program will be held at the People Power Monument along White Plains Avenue, which falls within Quezon City.

The local government said it also proposed a single, unified stage to make traffic management and crowd control easier, but acknowledged that some groups did not agree with the suggestion.

Former Ateneo School of Government dean and human rights lawyer Antonio “Tony” La Viña weighed in, saying no permit is required for rallies and marches under existing jurisprudence. In a Facebook post, he said authorities may regulate the time, place, and manner of assemblies, but may not impose prior approval of content. – With reports from Dwight de Leon/Rappler.com

Market Opportunity
ConstitutionDAO Logo
ConstitutionDAO Price(PEOPLE)
$0.006503
$0.006503$0.006503
-5.31%
USD
ConstitutionDAO (PEOPLE) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.
Tags:

You May Also Like

‘One Battle After Another’ Becomes One Of This Decade’s Best-Reviewed Movies

‘One Battle After Another’ Becomes One Of This Decade’s Best-Reviewed Movies

The post ‘One Battle After Another’ Becomes One Of This Decade’s Best-Reviewed Movies appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Topline Critics have hailed Paul Thomas Anderson’s “One Battle After Another,” starring Leonardo DiCaprio, as a “masterpiece,” indicating potential Academy Awards success as it boasts near-perfect scores on review aggregators Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes based on early reviews. Leonardo DiCaprio stars in “One Battle After Another,” which opens in theaters next week. (Photo by Jeff Spicer/Getty Images for Warner Bros. Pictures) Getty Images for Warner Bros. Pictures Key Facts “One Battle After Another” boasts a nearly perfect 97 out of a possible 100 on Metacritic based on its first 31 reviews, making it the highest-rated movie of this decade on Metacritic’s best movies of all time list. The movie also has a 96% score on Rotten Tomatoes based on the first 56 reviews, with only two reviews considered “rotten,” or negative. The Associated Press hailed the movie as “an American masterpiece,” noting the movie touches on topical political themes and depicts a society where “gun violence, white power and immigrant deportations recur in an ongoing dance, both farcical and tragic.” The movie stars DiCaprio as an ex-revolutionary who reunites with former accomplices to rescue his 16-year-old daughter when she goes missing, and Anderson has said the movie was inspired by the 1990 novel, “Vineland.” Most critics have described the movie as an action thriller with notable chase scenes, which jumps in time from DiCaprio’s character’s early days with fictional revolutionary group, the French 75, to about 15 years later, when he is pursued by foe and military leader Captain Steven Lockjaw, played by Sean Penn. The Warner Bros.-produced film was made on a big budget, estimated to be between $130 million and $175 million, and co-stars Penn, Benicio del Toro, Regina Hall and Teyana Taylor. When Will ‘one Battle After Another’ Open In Theaters And Streaming? The move opens in…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 07:35
XMR Technical Analysis Feb 22

XMR Technical Analysis Feb 22

The post XMR Technical Analysis Feb 22 appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. XMR is trading in a strong downtrend at the $319.58 level with volatility at low levels
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2026/02/22 20:45
Nordic chamber sees investor caution until reforms take hold

Nordic chamber sees investor caution until reforms take hold

FOREIGN INVESTORS will likely remain cautious about the Philippines until reforms are put in place to ensure regulatory certainty and reduced operating costs, the
Share
Bworldonline2026/02/22 19:54