The National e-hailing Federation of South Africa (NEFSA) has condemned the killing of a Nigerian Uber driver in Gauteng by two assailants, describing it as “deeply disturbing.” The federation’s spokesperson, Tella Masakale, disclosed this in a chat with Technext about the incident.
In a now viral video, a woman can be seen in the front with the now deceased driver, Isaac Satlat, while the man was behind. They appear to be robbing the driver, and when he started fighting back, the man behind him put a string around his neck, strangulating him until his body went limp.
While condemning the barbaric killing, the NEFSA extended it’s condolence to Isaac Satlat’s family and associates.
“NEFSA condemns the killing of the driver in the strongest possible terms and extends sincere condolences to the victim’s family, colleagues, and the broader e-hailing community. This incident is deeply disturbing and highlights the persistent safety risks drivers face while performing their daily work,” the federation’s spokesperson, Tella Masakale, said.
Tella Masakale
See also: Outrage as e-hailing driver is burnt alive by minibus operators in South Africa’s Maponya Mall
He also acknowledged the response by the South African Police Service while welcoming the investigative progress made so far. He, however, warned that beyond criminal accountability, the tragedy reinforces the urgent need for preventative safety mechanisms across the e-hailing ecosystem.
“NEFSA’s position is that driver safety must be treated as a core operational priority by platforms, regulators, and security stakeholders alike,” he said.
Three suspects have been arrested and charged in court in connection with the crime, while a fourth person reportedly turned themselves in. The three arrested suspects are Dikeledi Mphela, 24, Goitsione Machidi, 25 and McClaren Mushwana, 30.
According to prosecutors, the suspects ordered the ride on Bolt last Wednesday with a number that is not registered in any of their names.
When the car arrived, Mphela and the fourth suspect allegedly got into the car while Machidi and Mushwana followed them in a separate car. They then forced the deceased to stop the vehicle, strangled him to death and robbed him of his cell phone and vehicle, which was later recovered, prosecutors said.
Isaac Satlat’s alleged killers
In light of the tactics and incessant attacks on e-hailing drivers, the NEFSA is also calling for stricter rider verification to be put in place by e-hailing apps to better protect drivers from the people they serve.
According to the spokesperson, the call for rider verification relates to strengthening accountability and traceability within digital mobility systems. He recommended multi-layer verification approaches, such as verified identity documentation linked to rider accounts.
He also advocated for biometric or facial verification technologies where appropriate, secure mobile number authentication and device linking, as well as the flagging or restricting of anonymous or high-risk profiles.
“The objective is not to create barriers for legitimate users, but to ensure that individuals requesting transport services can be reliably identified should incidents occur. Enhanced verification reduces anonymity that criminals sometimes exploit when targeting drivers,” he noted.
The federation also called for increased use of the dashcams. While noting that they are not a standalone solution, the spokesperson stressed that they are an important deterrent and evidentiary tool. He said their presence can discourage opportunistic criminal behaviour, assist investigations, and improve incident accountability.
“We have seen instances where recorded footage has supported law enforcement in identifying suspects and reconstructing events. While determined criminals may not always be deterred, wider adoption of recording technology contributes to a layered safety approach — combining visibility, accountability, and post-incident response capability,” he said.
NEFSA logo
He further warned that the tragedy should catalyse collaborative action rather than a temporary reaction, noting that sustainable safety outcomes require coordination between platforms, regulators, law enforcement, and industry representatives.
“Drivers play a critical role in the mobility economy and deserve an operating environment that prioritises their protection. NEFSA remains committed to constructive engagement with stakeholders to strengthen preventative safeguards and improve conditions across the sector,” he finished.
The post NEFSA condemns murder of Nigerian Uber driver in SA, calls for rider verification first appeared on Technext.


